Tuesday, November 11, 2008

In Memory of Doug, by Joe Spivack


Doug Browne was my friend.  He was a kind, gentle and brilliant soul.  I met him over 15 years ago when we were both relative newcomers to the Cottage Grove - Lorane area.  I have many fond memories of Doug.  One lucky afternoon we filled buckets of morels together.  Another time Cathy and I completely unexpectedly ran into him at the market square in Oaxaca, Mexico.  We spotted him from 60 yards away with his long blonde hair sticking out like a sore thumb above the short dark Mayan people.  Yet another time Doug called me to look at this mammoth world war two food grinder he and moth had bought for their new chocolate business.  It seemed crazy to me but I knew if Doug put his mind to anything, something good would come of it.  When Doug put his mind to something, incredible things followed.  I was so impressed by  his divergent intelligence, and his ability to thoroughly absorb concepts and ideas so rapidly.  I was also so impressed by his selflessness and buddha like lack of ego.  What impressed me most about Doug was spending time with him after he was diagnosed with cancer.  Even though he wanted to live so dearly, he accepted death with incredible dignity and courage, and this I will alway remember, Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment