Sunday, November 9, 2008

Missing my little brother

I will miss my little brother, Doug. That of course is an understatement and it is of course, hard to think of him as “little”. He was so tall, so wise beyond his years, so big of heart. Who else could fit such a lifetime of love and accomplishment into so few years? I remember as a child, playing with Doug, camping out in the back yard, playing in the woods, swimming all day in the Tennessee heat, and just watching Doug and Harry wrestle. Siblings bicker, but to tell the truth, I can’t remember ever having an argument with Doug. Somehow he always knew what was important and could exude that to others. No need to fight.


As we got older we saw each other less, but Doug always made an effort to visit in both Boston and California. It was wonderful to have him visit as a brother and an uncle. He could breeze in and out unencumbered by all the possessions that weigh most of us down. In the later years he would bring “Doug Chocolate” and we could all enjoy the sweet manifestation of his social conscience and environmental awareness. He was able to put into action the kind of business that we all want to see, one in harmony with the world. What a wonderful example to his nieces and nephews and to us all.


Doug would always respond to a family member in need, helping both my mother and father when they were ill or injured. When it was his turn to ask for help, I know it was hard for him. He expressed to me his great gratitude to Linda, Jim and their family for their support this past year and I cannot fully express my thanks. It was wonderful that he was surrounded by love, family, children and the joyous buzz of the Snook family home this last year of his life. I know Doug will be missed there in Santa Cruz, here in El Cerrito, in Grenada, in Oregon, in Reno and in every other place and heart he touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment