Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A truly gentle person

Doug since the time I met him back in 1994 has been a wonderful friend who would drop everything at a momen't notice to help me--usually when I had car trouble. One time, when my car overheated on I-5, he came and got me and then later got my car. He also helped me fix various other things.

One time, upon moving to Oregon, I lamented to Doug that there was no where to get a good samosa and lo and behold, Doug got some chickpea flour and made them for me--just as perfect as I could get (and better even) from an Indian restaurant in Philadelphia.

Also Doug was someone that one could count on for a fair and unemotional view of life's situations. He was truly peaceful and did not like confrontation. In his presence, I knew he was super intelligent and also "deep" in a way that encompassed a greatness of spirit. In the months before his death, I had visited him and asked him about his thoughts on spirituality and he told me that to him--God was nature and that was where he most experienced the nature of the unknown or great mystery was when he was in the presence of the outdoors.

Doug was a scientist in all things and a philosopher in his quiet understanding way. I always felt comfortable with Doug. I always felt accepted and unjudged.

Doug will forever be with me and his unique loving friendship missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment